How to Capture Screenshots from Videos Quickly and EfficientlyOctober 25, 2008
As you might have noticed, I like to
image spam take many screenshots of my favorite anime and films. Shooting, processing, and posting more that 100 screenshots might seem like a daunting task, but can be easily accomplished with proper methods. In this brief guide, I’ll tell you how to make screencapping from videos a breeze
Problem: How to take images of a custom size with a single key and save them in a designated folder?
Solution: Screenshot Captor is a free program for taking screenshots with numerous options.
How to set up Screenshot Captor
We are going to create a folder for screenshots and assign a key for taking repeated shots.
1. Create a folder for the screenshots. I use a folder “Screenshots” under My Pictures. This folder will hold all your raw screenshots.
2. Designate a folder for your screenshots. Open Screenshot Captor and go to Edit > Preferences > Files+Folders tab . Enter the path to your folder for screenshots.
3. Designate a hot key for repeated shots. Go to Edit > Preferences > HotKeys tab . Under Repeat Region Capture enter your favorite key for taking screenshots. This is the main key you’ll use for taking screenshots. Once you press the key, the image will be saved in your designated folder.
How to Take Screenshots
Once you open a video, you have to set up the region you are going to capture.
1. Select the capturing region by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+PrintScreen keys to evoke red rectangle. This feature is neat because it can detect the object of the video and adjust the size of the capture region automatically. If you are satisfied with the default selection, press CTRL+LeftMouseKey, but if you don’t like the selection (sometimes you can see tine black bars at the edges), press SHIFT+LeftMouseKey to adjust the region manually (If the red box keeps disappearing during this operation, try clicking at the middle of the edge of the rectangle). Once you adjusted the region, click CTRL+LeftMouseKey.
2. Now you can pause the video and take as many screenshots as you want by hitting the key that you assigned earlier to Repeat Region Capture
Problem: How to resize hundreds of images in a batch mode?
Solution: Fast Stone Image Viewer is a free image processing program with many options including resizing.
How to resize and “clean” screenshots.
1. Open Fast Stone Image Viewer and go to Tools > Batch Convert / Rename
2. Select all the images you want to process and click Add
3. Select Output Format (I use JPEG). Click Settings button besides it and adjust the settings if needed. I usually uncheck Keep EXIF / IPTC Data to remove unnecessary descriptions from the images.
4. Select Output Folder. You have to create a folder for your processed images and select the path to it.
5. Check Use Advanced Options and click Advanced Options button. Under Resize tab, check Use Resize / Resample. The dimensions will depend on your preferences. Since my blog have relatively short width, I adjust my screenshots based on it: Resize based on one side, Predefined Side: Width, Exact pixels.. This way all the screenshots that you take will be resized to your preferred width, but with preserved aspect ratio.
6. Choose your favorite way to rename the images under the Rename field.
7. Click Start and wait a couple of seconds for the images to be processed. Everything that you set up during this session will be saved and the only thing you’ll have to do next time is to select and add images you want to process
The easiest way to publish screenshots is with WordPress gallery feature. Just click Add an Image and upload your images.
P.S. I’ll give a cookie to those who can identify the character and the anime of the first image