Shangri-La is a science fiction novel by Eiichi Ikegami set in 21st century global warming affected tropical Tokyo. The title selection is interesting because Okinawa, the birthplace of the author, was considered by some Shangri-La, a mythical utopia in general sense. The anime will be produced by an impressive team.
- Series Composition: Hiroshi Ohnogi (Area 88, Arjuna, Eureka Seven, RahXephon, Orguss, Macross, Gundam)
- Creative Producer: Takeshi Mori (Otaku no Video, Vandread)
- Creative Supervisor: Shingo Takeba (RahXephon, Eureka Seven)
- Character Designer: Range Murata (Blue Submarine No. 6, Last Exile) – I am very excited about that one 🙂
- Designers:Takuhito Kusanagi (Blue Submarine No. 6, Samurai 7), Hajime Satou (Karas, Solty Rei), and Umanosuke Iida (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Tide-Line Blue).
Illustrations for the novel by Kenichi YOSHIDA (Cowboy Bebop, Dennō Coil, Eureka Seven, Gunsmith Cats, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ocean Waves, On Your Mark, Only Yesterday, Planetes, Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart, Wolf’s Rain, Xamd: Lost Memories).
See other images in this gallery under シャングリ・ラ挿絵 heading.
- Gonzo to Animate Shangri-La Novel for TV (ANN)
- Shangri-La : Gonzo renoue avec Range MURATA (Anime Days)
- Official Website
- Shangri-La (Book on Amazon)
- Eiichi Ikegami (Japanese Wiki)
- Interview with Eiichi Ikegami (Japanese)
- Shangri-La Character Design by Range Murata
- Episode 1 Screenshots
This is how the anime might look like 😛 (No, they are not from the novel, just some interesting renditions of post apocalyptic Tokyo)
Shibuya Center-gai Source: Pink Tentacle