Relatively few new anime came out in September, but October will be very different 🙂 Many people posted their expectation and previews of the new anime season. Since Fall anime season 2008 is quite copious, a task of previewing all anime at once is too enormous for me. Thus, I’ll tackle it one week at a time with brief summaries. Vote in a poll and please let me know what are your plans! 🙂
I am going to list all the shows scheduled for the first week of October as documented by Anime News Network (read this post for week 2), and then I’ll give you brief synopsis with my thoughts and notes about each anime with links to first impressions and screenshots for some of the shows.
Wednesday, October 1
Toradora! (Wednesday – October 1)
Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Plot Summary Despite Ryūji Takasu’s gentle personality, his eyes make him look like an intimidating delinquent so he is utterly hopeless about his chances of getting a girlfriend anytime soon, and does not have many close friends either. After being greeted by his hungover mother in the morning, Ryūji goes to school and is happy to find that he gets to be in the same class as his best friend Yūsaku Kitamura and crush Minori Kushieda. However, it is then that he unexpectedly knocks into “the school’s most dangerous animal of the highest risk level” — Taiga Aisaka — who just happens to also be in his class, and is a good friend of Minori.
– Based on light novels
– I am not particularly excited about it, but I’ll check it out because someone recommended it to me.
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Toradora
Very Short Trailer
Rosario to Vampire Capu2 (Wednesday, October 1)
Genres: action, comedy, romance, supernatural
Plot Summary: The new season is set to continue to follow the manga, introduce new characters from the manga and characters created strictly for the anime.
– Second season of the show
– I have not seen the first season, so no plans to see this one. This series reminds me of To Love Ru in a way.
– Two Japanese TV stations censored the first episodes
Noramimi 2 (Wednesday, October 1)
Plot Summary: A world where mascots aren’t just marketing tools. Families contact mascot agencies, to find a suitable one for their children. This story focuses on one such agency, which has its very own mascot: Noramimi, the syrup-stirring Kaminari Kozo (Lightning Kid).
– Based on manga, second TV season
– This looks really crazy lol
Hyakko (Wednesday, October 1)
Genres: comedy, slice of life
Plot Summary: The story follows the antics of four high school freshman girls, after they enroll into a huge private academy that teaches every grade from elementary school to high school.
– Easy to mistype as Hayakko 😛
– Directed by Michio FUKUDA. It seems like his directorial debut after extensive experience storyboarding: Death Note, Honey and Clover, Le Chevalier D’Eon, Ouran High School Host Club, Pani Poni Dash, ROD TV, Welcome to the NHK.
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Hyakko
Casshern Sins (Wednesday, October 1)
Genres: action, science fiction
Plot Summary: After decades since the original anime series, the cybernetic warrior returns in this franchise reboot, Casshern Sins. In a world where the powerful robot leader known as Braiking Boss rule over humanity with an iron fist, a mysterious girl named Luna is summoned by the people for salvation. To retaliate against this potential threat, Braiking sends 3 of his most powerful cyborgs, Casshern, Dio and Reda to dispose of her. Casshern manages to kill Luna, plunging the world into a slow descent of annhilation. Hundreds of years later, humanity is almost extinct. Robots constantly replace their body parts, fearing the corrosion of rust: their only form of death. In this wretched time and place, Casshern returns after a lengthy disappearance since his murder of Luna. Having lost his memory, Casshern now defends the humans from the robots, and find out his true identity and purpose. Cassern is about a cyborg who rises against the robotic armies that have subjugated all of humanity.
– Directed by Shigeyasu YAMAUCHI (Dragonball Z, Saint Seiya)
– Looks too violent and scary for my taste
Thursday – October 2
Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan) – (Thursday, October 2)
Genres: science fiction
Plot Summary: In the not too distant future androids have come into common usage. Taking the androids for granted, humans treat them as if they were common everyday tools, however, some people are unhealthily attracted to the androids due to their human-like appearance (save for a digital ring floating above their heads). This has become a social problem and these people are frowned upon as a result. Rikuo, who has taken androids for granted for his entire life, one day discovers that Sammy, his home android, has been acting strangely and finds a strange phrase recorded in her activity log. He, along with his friend Masaki, traces Sammy’s footsteps and come upon an unusual cafe. This cafe’s main rule is to not discriminate between humans and androids.
– Direction and Script by Yasuhiro YOSHIURA (Pale Cocoon)
– You can see the first act for free right now on the official website
– Thanks to the collaboration with Directions Inc, the first and second act will be available on Crunchyroll on October 2nd
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Eve no Jikan
Yozakura Quartet (Thursday, October 2)
Genres: action, comedy, supernatural
Plot Summary: The story revolves around a quartet of teenaged heroes: A super-strong girl named Hime, a mind reader named Ao, a conjurer named Kotoha and an ordinary, powerless boy named Akina. The three girls and Akina protect the city of Sakurashin from supernatural threats.
– Based on manga
– Directed by Kou MATSUO (Kure-nai, Ergo Proxy, Freedom, Perfect Blue)
– I like the color design
– Fun Tsun Tsun-dere Tsundere Tsun Tsun Trailer 🙂 Thanks to Diego for finding it 🙂
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Yozakura Quartet
Shikabane Hime: Aka (Thursday, October 2)
Genres: action, supernatural
Plot Summary: The title “Corpse Princess” belongs to Makina Hoshimura, an undead girl who seeks to hunt down 108 corpses in order to go to heaven.
– 108 corpses… Heh, looks like they really like that set up in stories.
– Poor character design
Kuroshitsuji (Thursday, October 2)
Genres: comedy, supernatural
Plot Summary: One of the noble families of England – Phantomhive, has a butler, Sebastian Michaels. He has unquestionably perfect knowledge, manners, talent with materials. martial arts and much more. But he serves a 12 year old master.
– Directed by Toshiya SHINOHARA (Crest of the Stars, Fushigi Yuugi, Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai, Inuyasha movies, storyboard for Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Kuroshitsuji
Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden: Ten no Haoh (Thursday, October 2)
Genres: action, adventure, science fiction
Plot Summary: After an apocalypse, the world is laid to waste. Bandits rule the land, and might makes right the world over. Justice is a dying concept, so a new kind of hero begins to show himself to the people. With his “Fist of the North Star” technique, the man named Kenshiro slaughters those who would do violence upon the innocent. He journey’s to violently set justice back in the world, and dreams of one day refinding his beloved Julia.
Unlike most of the previous Fist of the North Star anime, this story focuses not on the protagonist Kenshiro, but on the early life of his oldest brother and frequent enemy Raoh.
– Too much action for my taste
Clannad After Story (Thursday, October 2)
Genres: romance, slice of life
Sequel to Clannad
– I have not seen Clannad, so no afterstory for me.
Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka (Thursday, October 2)
Plot Summary: In order to protect the girl Yuuhi Katagiri, a new transfer student, from danger, Junichi Nagase is forced to kiss her. Not understanding what happend, she screams at him, not knowing that her father has arranged for her to marry him
– Arranged marriage…
– I don’t like character design
Excerpt taken from a TV
Friday, October 3
Tentai Senshi Sunred (Friday, October 3)
– I have no idea what it is so far
Tales of the Abyss (Firday, October 3)
Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy
Plot Summary: Luke fon Fabre, the spoiled son of a noble from the kingdom of Kimlasca-Lavaldear, has been confined inside his father’s mansion ever since he was kidnapped seven years ago by a rival country, the Malkuth Empire. Now Luke’s memory of the life he led before is missing, and a strange voice, which only he can hear, has been calling out to him ever since. One day while training with his mentor, Van Grants, a strange woman called Tear breaks into the mansion with the sole intent of taking Van’s life. During the struggle Luke is transported far from home, along with Tear, and now that Luke has finally gained the freedom he’s been dreaming of, what awaits him in the outside world will shatter everything he’s ever known about himself.
Linebarrels of Iron (Friday, October 3)
Genres: action, science fiction, mecha
Plot Summary: An artificial satellite falls to Earth in 2013, seriously injuring Hayase Kouichi. He awakens six months later with strange powers. Three years later, a giant robot called Linebarrel appears and Kouichi joins him to fight for Juda, the largest medical equipment supplier in the world.
– Sequel to the original series
Saturday, October 4
To Aru Majutsu no Index (Saturday, October 4)
Genres: action, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Plot Summary: In a world where science clarifies supernatural powers. In a huge college that has power development in its curriculum. To a resident high school student, Kamijou Touma, a pure white sister appears. She calls herself “Index” and says that sorcerers are chasing her. Thus, Kamijou Touma enters the world of the occult.
– Some manga I read was funny, and I loved the variety of expressions. Check out the manga at Kokuun 🙂
– Directed by Hiroshi NISHIKIORI (Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Gad Guard, Mahou Sensei Negima!, Outlaw Star, Revolutionary Girl Utena)
– I am somewhat disappointed because I expected a more perky voice for the nun
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of To Aru Majutsu no Index
Shugo Chara!! Doki (Saturday, October 4)
– Second Season
– I have not seen the first season, but those chibis are cute :3 Check out the coverage of the first season at Irreprehensible.
Kemeko Deluxe! (Saturday, October 4)
Genres: comedy, romance, science fiction
Plot Summary: A chibi robot doll appears in the room of a typical high school boy. The robot claims the boy as her husband and then a beautiful girl comes out of the doll’s mouth who knows the boy from 10 years prior and had been promised his hand in marriage.
– Chibis with machine guns and maids with axes…
Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (Saturday, October 4)
Genres: comedy, magic
Plot Summary: An art student named Jin Mikuriya carves a statue from the wood of the Kannagi tree only to have the statue come to life in the form of a goddess, who has now taken over the statue. He and “Nagi” work together to destroy the impurities that are gathering in the town.
– Screenplay by Hideyuki KURATA (Battle Athletes, Excel Saga, ROD, Hellsing, Now and Then, Here and There)
– Music by Satoru KOUSAKI (Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
– Art Direction by Atsushi MORIKAWA (Cowboy Bebop: Movie, Eureka Seven, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Metropolis, RahXephon, Sword of the Stranger, Second Renaissance, Wolf’s Rain)
– Just look at this staff lineup! I’ll have to check out this anime for sure 🙂
– I don’t like character design
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens
Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae (Saturday, October 4)
Genres: horror, supernatural
Sequel to the first season.
Sunday, October 5
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season (Sunday, October 5)
Genres: action, drama, science fiction
Plot Summary: 2312 A.D. Four years have passed since the final battle between Celestial Being and the UN Forces. Humanity, after having established the Earth Sphere Federation, forms an independent security force, Arrows, separate from the formal Federation army to further unify nations and the will of mankind. But the reality is the inhumane oppression of anti-government powers, doctrines, and ideologies in the name of unity. Setsuna F. Seiei, after surviving the battle four years ago, has decided to once again fight with his Gundam.
– I have not seen the first season
– Trailer is epic! lol
Macademi Wasshoi! (Sunday, October 5)
Genres: comedy, magic, romance
Plot Summary: Magician’s Academy revolves around Takuto Hasegawa, who attends a magic academy that is not marked on any map. During a summoning spell exam, he accidentally creates a girl named Tanarot, who happends to hold enough magical power to destroy his country, but fortunately Tanarot professes undying loyalty to her “creator.”
– Maids with crazy weapons is in fashion this season lol
– I like the song in the trailer
Skip Beat! (Sunday, October 5)
Genres: comedy, romance
Plot Summary: Kyoko has devoted her life to Shotaro. When Shotaro came to Tokyo to debut as a singer, she followed him and worked to provide for him. But one day, Kyoko overhears Shota telling his manager that Kyoko means nothing to him. She’s just convenient, a housekeeper. This makes Kyoko furious, and she vows revenge on Shotaro. But Shotaro just laughs at her, saying she won’t be able to touch him because he’s now a popular singer and she’s a nobody. So Kyoko decides to get into showbiz and become even more popular than Shotaro to humiliate him. Unfortunately, Shotaro has destroyed Kyoko’s ability to love, and she discovers that it is a prerequisite for her to debut from her chosen company, LME. The president of LME puts her into a new section made for those who caught his eye but have something missing. It’s name… Section Love Me.
– I find the mangaart quite interesting, especially the hair. Sometimes the hair look like a hay stack or very artificial, but other times they are just wonderful.
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Skip Beat!
Some manga slide music videos for comparison purposes:
Kyo no Gononi (TV) (Sunday, October 5)
Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Plot Summary: An ecchi, school-life comedy show about Ryota Satou and his hilarious events and, often perverted, situations that he goes through and ends up in.
– Produced by Xebec (Kanokon)
– I have not seen the OVA, but if the clip from the OVA I accidentally found while searching for a trailer is any indication, it will be seriously perverted.
Ga-Rei-Zero (Sunday, October 5)
Genres: action, supernatural
Plot Summary: Freshman Nimura Kensuke has the ability to see ghosts, and his life changes when he meets Kagura, a girl with the power to summon a “Ga-Rei” called Byakuei. The two work together to find evil spirita and devour them with the Ga-Rei.
– Series Composition by Katsuhiko TAKAYAMA (ef – a tale of melodies, Fullmetal Alchemist, Pani Poni Dash!, Rumbling Hearts)
– Art Direction by Yoshimi UMINO (.hack, Blade of the Immortal, Iria – Zeiram the Animation, Tenchi Muyo Movies)
– See many screenshots and my brief impression of the first episode of Ga-Rei-Zero
My list of anime to check out with a reason in parentheses and link to my post with many screenshots and brief impressions:
– Toradora! (Recommended by friends)
– Hyakko (directed by Michio FUKUDA)
– Eve no Jikan (Art)
– Yozakura Quartet (directed by Kou MATSUO)
– Kuroshitsuji (directed by Toshiya SHINOHARA)
– To Aru Majutsu no Index (fun manga, directed by Hiroshi NISHIKIORI)
– Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (potentially good screenplay, music, and art direction based on the people involved)
– Skip Beat! (Art)
– Ga-Rei-Zero (art direction by Yoshimi UMINO)
Check out more new fall season 2008 anime coming out in October, Week 2 🙂